Ok so this article is for all you curly haired beauties. A lot of us have been gifted with curls. Yet all we want to do is straighten our hair! This is only because we don‘t know how to take care of our gorgeous curls. But fear not, for today I shall tell you exactly what you need to do with your luscious curls.
While growing up I hated my hair, most of the time I had a cloud over my head and all I could do was try and comb it. This of course made absolutely no difference to my cloud, instead I found my comb in half, stuck somewhere between my locks. God it was frustrating. No matter how many times I combed it. It used to be the same, unruly, frizzy and crazy, and stubborn.
This happened until someone enlightened me, on how one should manage their curls, like I‘m going to enlighten you today. Ok, so now pay attention! You will later thank me for this.
- Firstly, you need to love your curls. Get rid of the straightener, stop chemically straightening your hair, or blow drying it too often, drenching it with bottles and bottles of oil, or keeping it tied up 24 hours!
- Invest in a good shampoo and conditioner that is meant mainly for curly hair. Curly hair needs more moisture and love than straight hair. Hence a good moisturizing shampoo and conditioner is a must. You will need to deep condition your hair as often as possible.
- This is the most important point, you will use a WIDE TOOTH COMB, and run it through your hair, ONLY when you have conditioner in it! One should NEVER, NEVER comb the curls when it is dry. You must start at the end and gently work your way up to the roots. l normally ﬁnger comb my hair first and then use the wide tooth comb. Try and keep the conditioner on for as long as possible. Remember to be gentle. As your hair is the most brittle when wet.
- Gently squeeze out the water with a towel. Once again starting at the ends. Always be gentle with your locks.
- Now another important fact about your curls, that you need to know about is, frizz happens when there is lack of moisture. When your curls are thirsty and dry they tend to split, hence making it frizzy and coarse. That is the reason why we need a good product. Using a good product like a leave In cream conditioner or, leave In cream, curly hair gels, hair pudding, wax or light oils will help your curls be hydrated. This will make them look and feel awesome.
- You will need to apply the product, when your hair is wet, I normally scrunch my hair with enough product and let it air dry. If you want to, you can use a diffuser to do the same. Remember not to touch your curls when they are wet. The less you touch your curls, the better it will form.
Curly hair demands extra love and care. But it‘s really worth. Spending on good products will take you a long way. Try different shampoos and conditioners and creams, gels etc till you find the ones that work for you.
Brands like Tresemme, Moroccan Oil, Tigi, Loreal, John Frieda,Toni and Guy all have a range of good products for curly hair.
Now, that you are enlightened, treat your curls with love and be the envy of your peers.