Swollen eyes or puffy eyes are a common problem faced by many. The skin tissues near the eyes are delicate and fragile; they tend to inflame easily and cause puffiness in the eyes. The situation is not critical, especially when the reasons and its cures are known. The best way to treat swollen eyes at home is to follow a handful of simple natural remedies with great results.
Reasons for swollen eyes:
- Shedding Tears: Sobbing or weeping can make the eyes swollen. The tears remain in the sacs on the eyelids which lead to puffiness.
- Flu or Cold: Having a runny nose can cause puffy eyes.
- Sleepless nights and fatigue: Restless nights and being tired can also cause puffy eyes.
- Genetic connection: Swollen eye and dark circles could be a family trait.
- Salt intake: Adding more salt in food may cause water retention around the eyes, causing the eyes to look swollen.
- Age Factor: The skin loses its elasticity as we grow old also it causes the puffiness.
Apart from these basic reasons, there are also several other reasons that can lead to puffy eyes. But, unlike its reasons, the treatment procedures are very simple and easy.
Remedies for swollen eyes:
- Rinse the eyes with cold water.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Apply eye smoothing lotions that contain Vitamin E (Aloe Vera gel)
- Reduce salt intake.
- Massage your eyes.
- Take proper sleep.
- Proper eye movements.
In case, puffiness in the eyes is accompanied with other symptoms, it is best to consult an ophthalmologist for the right treatment.