When you tell someone that you are vegetarian, the first question you will likely to get is, “But where do you get your protein?”
Most vegetarians are confused about protein or have a feeling in the back of the mind that “You are not getting enough protein from food” and “Plant-based proteins are ‘incomplete’ or ‘lower quality’ protein”. The popular fact that vegetarians are not getting protein, are actually myths. You don’t need to worry. The good news is: Vegetarians can get enough protein ‘easily’.
The List of Vegetarian Protein Rich Foods
– Whey Protein
– Lentils (Indian Dal)
– Chickpeas (Channa)
– Spinach (Palak)
– Kidney beans (Rajma)
– Soy milk
– Egg whites (If you are eggetarian)
How Much Protein Do you Need Per Day?
According to United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)’s RDA for protein, you should take in 0.8 grams of protein per kg of your bodyweight in a day.
– If your bodyweight is 60 kg, you need 48 grams (60kg , 0.8) of protein per day.
– If you are doing strength training, you can take up to 1.5 grams of protein per kg of your bodyweight per day.
Why Do You Need to Eat Enough Protein?
Protein is one of the basic building blocks of the human body. Muscle, hair, skin, and connective tissue are mainly made up of protein. It helps your muscles repair and recover. It helps fill you up. You won’t feel hungry for long time. It also helps you get ‘flawless’ skin and ‘healthy’ hair.
What Happens If You Do Not Eat Enough Protein?
If you stop eating enough protein, your body will start to break down muscle for its needs within a day or so and you will lose muscle mass very fast. It may cause hair loss. It can also make your skin dull.
Image Source: foodconfidence.com
How to Eat Enough Protein?
– Take whey protein with milk two times a day. Whey is one of the best protein source for vegetarians.
– Make a habit of eating a bowl of dal (Dal bati / dal rice) in your lunch daily.
– Eat paneer, soya bean and broccoli salad for dinner.
– Have sprouts for snacks.
– Keep walnuts with you for munching.
– Have yogurt/curd during the day.
– Eat palak (spinach) sabji either for lunch or dinner.
– Have a cup of warm milk (low fat) twice a day.
Image Source: www.superskinnyme.com