Do you Suffer From an Achiever’s Dilemma?
To be an achiever in today’s highly competitive world, most people tend to work really hard. Sometimes they work so hard that they start neglecting their own health!
For them, keeping fit and healthy for a busy life often takes a backseat. They hardly spend any time to themselves; though somewhere in the back of their mind they also know that maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle is one of our top priorities of life.
Are you one of them?
If so, do you really, really want to do something about it?
Staying Fit and Healthy in a Busy Life
To be fit and healthy despite a busy life is a very tight balancing act, especially when you are juggling to get so many things done at home as well as work.
There are kids to look after and family commitments as well as the office schedules that involve rushing from one place to another to meet the deadlines. More often than not, this leaves no room for that little “personal time” that you so badly need.
Therefore paradoxically, we see that work always comes in the way of workouts!
But there is no need to despair. If you really want to know how to stay fit and healthy for a busy life, here are some simple tips that would help you achieve this, no matter how busy your life is –
1.Commitment to a Fitness Schedule
Having a well thought out fitness schedule is the first hurdle that you have to cross when you decide to stay fit and healthy.
Identifying the time slot that you can set aside daily is your first step to this commitment for a workout.
Try to set schedules at weekly/monthly basis in case it is constantly in a state of flux. This would make it easier to adhere.
2. Planning Practical Work Outs
It is important to be practical and pick the workout plan that suits your individual needs, likes and dislikes.
You should ideally start with the exercises that don’t require too much preparation. Go slow and easy without trying any high-intensity interval training to achieve short term physical gains.
Aerobic and body-weight exercises, Tabata training, walking and running are the ideal choices for starting your fitness plan.
Remember, the key is to select something that you can do anywhere, irrespective of the fact whether you are at home or are traveling.
3. Choosing An Efficient Work Out
The efficiency of achieving a healthy body despite your busy schedule also depends upon how smartly you choose the activities that ensure maximum benefits in a minimum time-frame.
Circuit training that involves a series of exercises is ideal in case you are keen to achieve results quickly.
4. Move it, Try Jogging!
Jogging is one of the single most popular aerobic exercises with many health benefits.
Besides giving a well toned body, it also improves blood circulation that helps in keeping your weight under control. This helps in Prevention of ailments like hypertension, heart disease, diabetes, etc.
Running also ensures an improved mental fitness and helps to combat stress. You can read more about many of the advantages running and its benefits HERE.
If you are new to jogging, at first take your doctor’s advice and start with just the brisk walks. Then, after a week or so, slowly build up jogging spurts in your daily routine.
It is important to purchase proper running clothes as well as running shoes. Also, order a good quality running backpack which would make it easier for you to carry some of your essentials in it.
This is important as it would lead to being outdoors for a longer time since you can carry the hydration fluid in a special pouch built in the bagpack; which you can have frequently while you are out to re-freshen yourself. This would make your overall performance better.
5. Lifestyle Changes With “On the Move” Workouts
There are many things that you can do “on the move” while continuing with your busy day to day schedule. Here is a short list from where you can pick and choose activities-.
- Take walks instead of cabs for short distances.
- Try taking a flight of staircase instead of an elevator whenever you can. If you work in a high-rise multistory building, make it a habit to take to the stairs at least once a day for a couple of floors.
- Try out mini workouts of 20 minutes duration before the shower.
- Take time off for 10-15 minutes after a couple of hours and do some stretches; or simply take a walk around the work place. It would also keep you gel well with other employees.
- Join your kids in their basketball or football game when you can.
- Team up with someone equally passionate about staying fit and healthy for a busy life. Having a health-minded friend or colleague will ensure that you both remain motivated.
- Intelligent diet control plan – This is an important ingredient of any stay-fit plan. Avoid the lure of processed food as they are rich in high-sodium and high-fat content that plays havoc with the body. It makes a lot of sense to plan healthy meals in advance. You may also take expert advice to create a menu that you would like.
These are just some of the methods that would help you in staying fit despite an otherwise busy lifestyle.
Whether you are an executive of a large business house or are one of the many hard working self-made individuals who have set up a successful business by working long hours; you don’t have to ignore health to offset your success at work. In fact, keeping fit by adopting some of the methods given here would ensure you perform even better and yet manage to forever remain fit and healthy for a busy life.
So don’t just read and put this down!
Make an honest resolve to start with a planned workout schedule and adopt these lifestyle changes immediately.