Do you fancy the outdoors, especially fishing but do not have the nerve to try it out? As a female, maybe you have seen only a few women angling, and that got you worried? What will people think of me?
Keep in mind, the journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. If your passion lies in holding a fishing rod, you better start learning how to fish. Everyone and anyone can learn how to fish, despite the age, location and even gender.
You can choose to fish as a sport, a pastime (for the weekends or holidays) or commercially. In all these areas, some women have made it, are making it and are starting to make it, you included.
In this tutorial, I will cover how to get started with fishing and Tips for women when going fishing.
When you join the world of anglers, you will realize that many of them grew up fishing or were born into fishing. However, it is never too late to get started. Here are a few outdoor tricks to jumpstart your fishing adventures. Also, for me, being a fishing enthusiast, I make sure to have my fishing tools with me during my small trips. Make sure you learn about the basics of fishing and its terminologies here:
- Familiarize yourself with fishing terminologies: Just like when you are starting out a new job, you need to understand the meaning of terms that are frequently used. Below are some terminologies you will likely come across in fishing:
- Rod Action: It refers to the degree at which your fishing rod can easily bend. Different fishing rods have different rod actions. As you purchase your fishing rod, ask the outfitter about your rod’s action and which will be suitable for the water you want to fish.
- Bait: This is the lure that you use to trick the fish to strike at it. It can be either live bait, dead or artificial lures. For a novice angler, it is advisable to start with primary lures such as plastic or live worms, crank bait, etc.
The same applies to the gear, use simple equipment such as the spinning reel before advancing to using baitcasting reel.
- Know the regulations: Before you start your learning how to fish journey, you need to do your research on fishing in your area. Do you need a fishing license? If so, then purpose to get one.
- Understand basic fishing procedures: You need to how to implement some of the basic fishing tasks such as, adding bait to the hook, tying different kinds of fishing knots, etc.
- Find out when is the right time to fish: Most anglers get many bites in the morning and evening as the fish come out to eat. There are also ideal times to catch a particular species of fish, say spring, the spawning season of most fish.
- Practice: No one becomes an expert in any given area without practice and so is becoming a fishing expert. You need to regularly go outdoors and practice the skills you learned and have acquired with time until it becomes engrained in your memory.
Make friends with local anglers in your area and don’t be afraid to ask questions. The above are just a few basic steps to help you get started with fishing. Once you have armed yourself with the right fishing gear and set a fishing date, what next?
Now that you have a set mind, and chosen to take your fishing gear and confidently try out your skills besides many other anglers, here are a few tips and tricks to ensure your success on any fishing day:
- Check the Weather
Knowing what the weather will be like will help you get dressed the weather. You don’t want to dress for cold weather and the day end up being warm. If you are fishing from the shore, consider carrying a pair of boots, just in case you will need to wade in the water.
Also, if the sky is overcast, then you have a higher success of catching fish. A dark sky has often proven to result in successful fishing expeditions. However, you can still get bites in any weather as long as you catch at the right time.
- Location is Key
For you to have a successful fishing day, you need to know where to find fish. Evidently, you cannot catch fish where there are not staying. The ideal areas to fish are open sectors such as ponds, beaches, lakes, etc.
To prevent getting frustrated due to your line snagging, avoid areas with objects in the subsurface.
Fishing requires patience; you want to draw the fish to your bait. Let it come towards it and strike out of its volition. If you spook it, then it won’t bite, and nothing is frustrating as having the right gear, being in the proper location and even seeing the fish and not getting any bites. Watch the line for any movements and when the fish finally strike, give your line a hard tug.
Fishing is for everyone, no matter the age or gender. If you are female and would love to get started in fisheries; let nothing hold you back. Start with the basics and keep practicing until you become an expert.
You do not have to be competing in sports fishing; it could be your pastime activity as you relax and try to connect with fishing. When you get started, you may never go back. Don’t be afraid to learn and ask where you do not get a concept.
If you are a woman and a fishing enthusiast, tell us how you got started.
|My name’s Brenda. I have a strong passion for fishing and all things related to it. I always update the latest information and share useful tips on FallForFishing.com to help anybody likes fishing to catch a big haul of fish.|