As the alarms on the potential doomsday keep buzzing around, I believe humans would end themselves, not letting nature to take its avenge of destroying her. Humanity has seen its end in some parts of the world and the same is spreading like fire. The moment you think there are no harsh news coming from the world today, you come across one that horrifies you. Likewise, ‘Taharrush jama‘i’ is paralyzing the world.
‘TAHARRUSH JAMA‘I’ – An Arabic term which translates to ‘Collective Sexual Harassment’.
A sexual attack on women, not in bushes or lonely streets but assault by a group of men in public places where hundred other men can watch the heinous crime happen to the victim. This barbaric act is performed as a game in Egypt since a decade and now has made its way to Europe through the refugees that flooded the country due to political revolution. The first recorded act was in Cairo during Egyptian constitutional referendum on 25 May 2005. Women demonstrators were sexually assaulted by a group of men in 100’s. Another attack happened during Eid-al-Fitr holiday in 2006, a crowd of young men were engaged in a five-hour-long mass sexual assault of women in Talaat Harb Street.
Image Source: indiatimes.in
Slowly, the crime grew prominence in the country. Lara Logan, a correspondent for CBC, was sexually assaulted for 30 minutes by around 200 men in Tahrir Square before being rescued by a group of Egyptian women and soldiers. Seven other International women journalists were among hundreds of other women who were victims of Taharrush jamai.
How unbelievable it is that, such savages managed to multiply. By 2012, such attacks became the prominent features in festivals of Egypt. Since then there are huge number attacks that has shook ones existence and the country’s moral level of humanity. Recently, during the 2016 new year’s eve celebrations in Cologne, Germany, crowd of middle-east refugee men assaulted 359 women in the celebrations.
500 cases of mass sexual assault were documented between June 2012 and June 2014.
How This Horrific Game ‘Taharrush jama‘i’ is Played?
- The main objective of the game is to form three circle of men around the woman
- The inner circle of men deals the most damage to the victim
- Second circle tries and fight their way into the first circle to pleasure themselves
- Men at outer circle distracts the rest of the crowd from the act.
- And only one or two men are assigned the position of ‘trying’ to save the victim.
- This ‘game’ includes violence, groping, digital (using fingers) rape, beating, biting, and at times penile penetrative rape of the victim.
- The game victimizes any woman irrespective of their age, caste or religion
- At few incidents, victims say that perpetrators groped their breasts, butt and crotch while saying ‘Don’t worry.’
- The attackers, while performing this barbaric lethal game also are heard saying, “Do not be afraid; I’m protecting you,” or “you are like my sister, do not be afraid.
How Barbaric It Can Go?
Image Source: almaghribtoday.net
If a woman has been separated from her friends by the crowd, or out alone, she may find herself encircled by a large group of men who grope her breasts, genitals and buttocks. Attempts are made to pull clothes, and her body is pulled in different directions as men move her through the crowd. Women regularly report digital penetration of the vagina and anus.
Some savages have used sticks, knives and blades, and in several cases sharp objects have been inserted into the victim’s vagina.
Why In The World Do Such Men Love To Play This Game?
- To seek sexual pleasure and to dominate women
- Men who had perceived the sense of sexual deprivation, as marriage is financially tough
- ‘Sexual harassment is a symptom of the country’s political and economic oppression, and that men are “lashing out at those next down the line in the patriarchy’ says Nehad Abul Komsan, head of the Egyptian Center for Women’s Rights
- The game had originally begun to create a fear among women, i.e. Women should not be out for the protests or gatherings.
Image Source: medievalhistories.com
Why Actions Weren’t Taken Against Attackers?
- During 2013, the ruling party of Egypt maintained that women participating in rallies were personally responsible for such incidents.
- As the crime involves a huge mass of attackers, it becomes difficult for police to recognize the assaulters and that can also risk their own lives
- Such crimes are committed by groups of young men in hundreds during large gatherings deliberately to avoid the security, as authorities wouldn’t charge upon the innocents
- In the recent German attack, culprits were caught and all 19 were middle-east refugees.
Watch The Scary Incident Captured!
The incident of Cairo, became a game and today it has invaded not only Cologne but women also filed complaints in Berlin, Düsseldorf, Frankfurt, Hamburg and Stuttgart; Salzburg, Austria; Helsinki, Finland; Kalmar and Malmö, Sweden; and Zurich, Switzerland. It’s time to act upon such heinous crime against women, before it’s too late to control! I am disturbed, hurt and shameful, as not sure to what end can humanity lead to? Should Indian women be alarmed?
Image Source: womenchapter.com