If your age is less than 35 years of age and you have desperately been trying to have a baby for a year, or are over 35 years of age and have been trying to get pregnant for the last 6 months with no success, then you may have to visit a fertility clinic.
The first biggest challenge is to find the best fertility hospital. Chances are that there may be many fertility clinics in your area and choosing the best one can be a really difficult task. It is important to select the best IVF center with a lot of care and to not get trapped in their marketing gimmicks.
The Initial Appointment
If you have finally found a few fertility clinics that look good, then the first step should be to schedule an initial consultation. Look if you can make a connection with the doctor because you need to be comfortable with the doctor so that you can ask him any questions that you may have regarding the treatment. The other things that you should pay attention to are:
- The fertility center should be seeing patients all through the week
- The success rate should be measured by the live births
- There should be easy communication with patients and the nurse should be available during normal working hours on phone and email
- The doctor or the nurse should be accessible after non-working hours
- There should be other services provided by the clinic like counseling ,support groups, and acupuncture sessions
- The clinic should be affiliated with a hospital that is covered by your medical insurance plan. This may be required in the case of an emergency
- There should be financial options provided by the clinic since the infertility treatment is expensive and most clinics require full advance payment
- You should understand what diagnostic tests need to be performed. There should be tests for both partners
- In case you require an IVF, know how many embryos they recommend transferring.
- Lastly, ensure that they make you feel positive by answering all the doubts that you may have
Understand the Published Success Rate
The success rate of the clinic is a very crucial thing to consider. If a clinic does not publish the success rate on its website then you should definitely look elsewhere. The clinic should list both the intrauterine insemination (IUI) and the In Vitro fertilization success rate which should be broken down into categories like the woman’s age and the number of embryos that were transferred.
It is important to consider live births and not just the percentage that ends in pregnancy. The fertility clinic that has the highest percentage seems to be the best choice as per logic, but that may not necessarily be true. The clinics may not choose to report the outcomes on all cycles but instead report selectively. The numbers that they show may not be totally comprehensive. Then there are also clinics that turn away the cases at the initial stage if they see that the chances of conceiving are hard just so that they have better numbers. There might be others who accept these cases. This could impact the success rate posted
It is thus important to know that the success rate published by the clinic on their website may not give the complete picture and it should not be the sole criteria for deciding on a fertility clinic.