Acidity is a common problem that occurs due to excess secretion of hydrochloric acid from the gastric glands as a result of failed digestive system. Normally, whatever we eat, this acid makes easier to break down the food during digestion. It kills harmful bacteria and parasites which enter into stomach with food. In addition, gives signals to the pancreas to produce other digestive juices and enzymes for better digestion & absorption of ingested food. This is a regular and natural process. When acidity happens, one may feel a burning sensation just above the stomach, or right below breastbone.
Acidity is responsible for symptoms like dyspepsia, heartburn, gas formation and the progression of
various ulcers (erosion of the lining of the stomach or intestines). It is a problem which is aggravated when one has wrong eating habits. The different causes of acidity are as under:
1. Problems in the functioning of digestive system:
- Hyper secretion of hydrochloric acid
- Reflux of gastric acid
- Weakness of the valves
2. Faulty lifestyle
- Irregular eating habits i.e. keeping long intervals between meals. (skipping breakfast)
- Lack of physical exercise
- Lack of sleep
- Inadequate weight Obesity
- Stress, Anxiety, etc.
3. Unhealthy dietary habits plus overindulgence in:
- Tea, coffee &/ or aerated drinks.
- Spicy thick curry
- Raw salad vegetables: onion, radish, cabbage, giant chilies & garlic.
- High fatty & fried foods.
- High calorie dairy products.
- Foodstuffs abound with preservatives: Pickles, chutney, sauce & salsa.
- Fermented & sour foodstuffs.
- Products that contain strong mint or chocolates.
- Alcohol & Tobacco (chewing &/or smoking)
4. Habitually eating:
- Meals hurriedly
- Excessive hot food
- Heavy meals followed by lying down.
- Aim for complete change of lifestyle.
- Avert bending over, lying down, reclining or going to sleep immediately after meal.
- Avoid tight fitting clothing viz. belt, waistband.
- Maintain appropriate body weight.
- Remain upright during and at least 45 minutes after eating.
- Sound sleep for at least 7 hours on a raised bed.
- Take on stress-reducing activities meditation.
- Dietary approach:
- Maintain sufficient gap between meals and bedtime.
- Eat smaller and lighter meals regularly.
- Control portion size.
- Always eat freshly prepared meals only.
- Eat slowly. Chew completely.
- Avoid eating:
- bedtime snacks
- Late in the night.
- Leftover foodstuffs.
- Acid triggering foods: refined and processed foodstuffs, pickles, deep fried dishes, etc.
Ideal Anti-acidity meal plan:
|Wake up||Raisins (over night soaked)||8-10 in nos.|
|Early Morning||Light tea/ coffee||1 cup|
|Breakfast||Suji moong dal pancake +Chikoo shake||2 small1 glass|
|Mid morning||Kokum water +Ripe papaya||1 glass1 small plate|
|Lunch||Phulka rotiPumpkin sabji||3 in no.1 bowl|
|Evening snack||Steamed methi muthias||8-10 in nos.|
|Early dinner||Mixed vegetable daliya +Any low fat soup(no tomatoes or onions)||1 bowl1 bowl|
Stay Cool Stay Healthy!!