Long stints at desk create havoc on your bones, joints, and muscles and lead to injuries. Stretching improves blood circulation which keeps the ligaments and muscles supple, joints healthy and the range of motion in the joints, lengthens the muscles and increases energy levels.
Here are a few exercises that can be done every day or weekly thrice to gain benefits and prevent injuries. These exercises are especially beneficial for people with desk job. Hold each stretch for 20- 30 seconds.
1. Shoulder Roll
– Slowly roll your shoulders backward five times in a circular motion.
– Next, roll your shoulders forwards for five times and relax your shoulder muscles
Image Source: biggerbutti.com
2. Back and Side Stretch
– Interlace your fingers and lift your arms over your head
– Keep elbows straight.
– Press arms upwards as far back as you can.
– To stretch the sides, slowly lean to the left hold for 20 seconds and then to the right.
Image Source: www.self.com
3. Back Curl
– Grasp your shin and lift the leg off the floor.
– Bend forward and reach your nose to your knee
– Hold for 20 seconds
– Repeat with the other leg
Image Source: www.huffingtonpost.com
4. Ankle Flex and Stretch
– Hold one foot off the floor with your leg straight.
– Flex your ankle by pointing your toes up and hold for 20 seconds
– Next, extend and point your toes downwards and hold for 20 seconds
– Repeat with the other leg.
Image Source: wisegeekhealth.com
5. Stretch for neck
– Drop your head slowly to the right, trying to touch your right ear to your right shoulder hold for 20 seconds
– Repeat on the left side.
– Slowly drop your chin to your chest, turn your head all the way to the right, then turn all the way to the left.
They are simple and not time consuming. This makes these exercises extremely helpful for people who do long desk hour jobs.
Image Source : markomikic.wordpress.com
Image Source: fitnesskites.com