CHIA?? Is that the name? Yes! You got it right… even I gave a puzzled look when I heard and read about it the first time! In fact, I was wondering, what would these tiny black seeds do??? Chia seeds (spelled as SHEE –YA), have become one of the healthiest seeds today. Let’s have a look, why….
- High in Nutrition and Low in Calories – Chia seed are loaded with fibre, vitamin B1, B2, B3, Calcium, Manganese and Phosphorus. A lot of our RDA requirements of minute vitamins and minerals are met through these power-packed tiny seeds.
- Rich in antioxidants – They contain a very healthy ratio of omega 3 : omega 6 fats! Hence, they prove to be beneficial in managing abnormal blood lipid profiles. Also, the antioxidants present in this tiny seed, help to evade free radical formation in the body, thus, improving one’s immunity!
- High in fibre – It is seen since years that a diet rich in fibre aids in a good weight loss history. Hence, being rich in fibre (10gms of fibre in just 2 tablespoons!), chia seeds are a healthier option to manage weight, diabetes , heart diseases and many other health related issues!
- Feeling of satiety – Feeling satisfied OR Full after a meal is very important. This will help in lowering the chances of binge eating in between meals. They have a gelatinous effect with water. Also, being rich in protein and fibre, they are bound to bring satiety to your meal. Hence, you can conveniently sprinkle a tbsp. of it on your veggies or salads or curd.
- Presence of additional phytochemicals – Apart from the above, certain phytochemicals present in chia seeds such as myricetin, quercetin, and kaempferol and caffeic acid are known for their antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties.
HOW TO USE CHIA SEEDS??
Image Source: tedisarah.com
- Chia seeds can be added to any dish, from raw yogurt to cooked veggies to smoothies. As they take on a gelatinous texture after they mix with a liquid, you can add them to your regular water OR
- For a crunchier taste, sprinkle them on your salads OR
CHIA PUDDING– Measure out 1/3RD cup of chia seeds, ½ cup of coconut milk, ½ tsp of vanilla extract, 1/4th tsp sea salt and 2 tbsp of honey. Mix well and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or even overnight. The chia seeds will absorb the moisture and become thick and gelatinous, like a pudding. Pour this mixture in a glass. Add your favourite toppings and enjoy!
Image Source: ieatgrass.com