Indian Constitution is a huge thing to read, and difficult to even remember. But it is made for us, for our safety and rights to know what rights we possess, and hence we should know at least few of them, shouldn’t we? In the wake of increasing murders, sexual harassment one needs to know very few acts and laws made for the welfare of its citizens and to give criminals the best possible punishment.
Here are 8 laws which everyone irrespective of them being a man or a woman should know:
- IPC Section 294 -Obscene acts and songs
Whoever, to the annoyance of others:
- does any obscene act in any public place, or
- sings, recites or utters any obscene song, ballad or words, in or near any public place, shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to three months, or with fine, or with both.
- IPC Section 354A
A man committing any of the following acts—
- physical contact and advances involving unwelcome and explicit sexual overtures; or
- a demand or request for sexual favors; or
- showing pornography against the will of a woman; or
- making sexually colored remarks, shall be guilty of the offense of sexual harassment.
Image Source: resize.indiatvnews.com
- Section 354D:- Stalking
1) Any man who—
- follows a woman and contacts repeatedly despite a clear indication of disinterest by such woman; or
- monitors the use by a woman of the internet, email or any other form of electronic communication,
- commits the offense of stalking;
- Section 354C:- Voyeurism
Any man who watches, or captures the image of a woman engaging in a private act
- Sexual Harassment of Women At Workplace Act, 2013
Any senior colleague demanding sexual favors in exchange for work benefits – promotion or salary hike – is an act sexual harassment as per Sexual Harassment of Women At Workplace Act, 2013.
If women makes a complaint about an act of sexual harassment, the inquiry has to be completed within 90 days according the above law.
Any workplace with more than 10 employees should have an internal complaints committee constituted as per the Sexual Harassment of Women At Workplace Act, 2013.
Image Source: lawgupshup.com
- Section 499: Defamation
Whoever by words either spoken or intended to be read, or by signs or by visible representations, makes or publishes any imputation concerning any person intending to harm, is said to defame that person.
- 67 of IT Act
Posting any obscene or defamatory material on public online platform intending to harass a woman is a crime under Section 67 of the IT Act. The accused can face jail time of 2 years coupled with a fine.
- IPC Section 509
Word, gesture or act intended to insult the modesty of a woman shall be punished with simple imprisonment for a term which may extend to three years, and also with fine
The punishment to the every Indian laws mentioned above includes imprisonment of the culprit for a decided period of time and huge penalty to compensate the crime. Know in detail on laws, punishments and exceptions on Indian Penal Code Official web.
Featured Image Source: il9.picdn.net
Content Source: devgan.in