Dealing with menstrual cramps can be stressful! About 40-70% of women experience some kind of pain or discomfort during the menses. We definitely don’t want to consume over-the-counter pain killers or other drugs every month to get rid of them, so what are the other ways to treat them? Making few changes in your eating pattern and drinking lots of liquids is one way to ease the pain naturally.
Foods that can help you sail through menstrual cramps smoothly:
- Parsley – Loaded with minerals and vitamin C, make a concoction or drink up as tea. It will help relax and alleviate the aches.
- Celery & Coconut Water – Fights the unwanted fluid retention, bloating and cramping.
- Salmon, Walnuts, Flaxseeds – Omega 3 fatty acids in them, reduces the inflammation.
- Dark Chocolate – Use the one with at least 70% cocoa and experience the magic while it relaxes your muscles. Tryptophan in dark chocolate boosts the feel good hormone serotonin.
- Green Tea/Peppermint Tea – Replace the caffeine with this detox drink which also helps soothe cramps.
- Chickpeas – Go Mediterranean and include some hummus, this will help uplift your mood and get a good night sleep too.
- Sesame Seeds, Almonds and Green Leafy Vegetables – Calcium from these foods help reduce muscle cramps.
- Soy Milk – Isoflavones in them can act like estrogens, it also helps reduce menstrual pain.
Try and experiment with these foods for 1-2 cycles and you will know what works best for you. Once you have identified that, you will see these foods in an altogether different perspective. Believe me, next time before you head to the medicine drawer you will head to the kitchen for these remedies.